Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Five Love Languages




Last night our church had a Married Couples event that was wonderful. We gathered in around 7:00 pm for pizza, soft drinks and fellowship. Then at 7:30 we watched a presentation by Dr. Gary Chapman on the 5 Love Languages.
It was a wonderful video that was not only funny but also eye opening. I'm pretty sure that I have figured out my love language (Quality Time) and my husband's love language (Physical Touch) but I did not know that children have a love language. I am very excited to give my children the on-line quiz that they have at the above website so that I can know how best to show them that they are loved.
One of the best things that Dr. Chapman said in his video was that, while you need to love your spouse and your children in their primary love language you also need to sprinkle in the other 4 love languages so that they learn how to receive love and give love in those ways also. It kinda makes them multi-lingual :)
Now let me explain the picture at the top of my blog. As I stated before my love language is quality time. Every morning I get up and fix my husband breakfast so that I can sit and have a cup of coffee with him and have him all to myself! The kids are still in bed, the house is quiet and I get all of his attention (OK I have to share some of his attention with the eggs and toast)! But I realized last night that I get up and fix his breakfast FOR ME! Sure, he gets the benefit of a nice hot breakfast but if I was really being honest (and I'm trying to be) I'm not doing this to bless him I'm doing it to bless me and I think that's OK. But my goal for the next few weeks is to try and find ways to bless my husband. I want to learn his love language and how to communicate with him in his own language. I want him to know that I love him and that he is important to me. So over the next few weeks I'm going to be reading Dr. Chapman's book and learning a new language!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails